- Simple to use
- Layer by layer compaction control device
- Used for pavement investigation for layers up to a max of 50 cm thickness.
- Immediate repeatable results so that on-site decisions can be made straight away
The PANDITO® Ultra-light Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) is a simple to use self control device to immediately test the compaction quality.
The PANDITO® DCP is suited for layers up to a maximum of 50 cm thickness, the typical maximum compaction depth able to be compacted with classical compactors. The results are presented as Cone Tip Resistance qd (MPa) or California Bearing Ratio (CBR) index. The PANDITO® is suitable for use on fine or coarse soils (clay, silt, sand, gravels etc) with a grain size up to 50 mm. The resistances to cone penetration (qd) are limited to 30 to 40 MPa (from 35 to 45 blows per 10 cm).
This self control test can be done by onsite field staff as the PANDITO® DCP is extremely simple to use and interpret. This mean that on-site decisions can be made immediately, rather than waiting for the final test using a normalised technique like the nuclear gauge / densitometer to identify and rectify compaction issues.
Data is captured (blows per 10cm) and presented using the SolSolution DCP app for results entry, calculation and printing / reports. The results are presented as Number of Blows, Cone Tip Resistance qd (MPa) or California Bearing Ratio (CBR) index.
To interpret the results, the number of blows required to drive the cone in by 10 cm is compared to a reference value that takes into account the type of soil (soil classification), its water content and the required compaction quality (% Optimum Proctor Normal (%OPN) or % Optimum Proctor Modified (%OPM)).
To find out more, Contact Us.
Some application examples for the PANDITO® from Sol Solution include establishing:
- whether to keep dirt roads and tracks open (in the rainy season, when its wet or with other difficult conditions), to prevent excessive road damage and vehicles getting stuck or bogged
- whether to keep un-surfaced runways and taxiways open or not
- whether a trench is backfilled and correctly compacted
If you are interested in a full instrumented Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP), the PANDA® Instrumented Variable Energy DCP may suit your needs.
The advantages of the PANDITO® Ultra-light DCP include:
- Provides immediate results so that on-site decisions can be made straight away.
- 5 minutes per test typical with results viewable on site
- Accurate and Repeatable
- Non destructive (almost)
- Reduced errors
- No manual recording or data transposition from paper required
- Results are produced by the SolSolution DCP app (overcoming transposition or calculation errors)
- Improved data flow and integrity
- GPS located and time stamped – know where and when every test is done
- Visually presented results
- Graphical representation of the data (penetrogram) on the mobile phone, potting penetration depth per blow or blows per 10cm
- Improved safety
- Safe to operate (overcomes the safety issues of hand / finger crushing associated with the conventional Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP)
- Cost effective
- One person operation, rather than 2 for the traditional DCP